Monday, January 05, 2009

A nice surprise

When at home, I am always in a bit of a tango holiday. There is no tango in my hometown and because I have so many non-tango friends at home, it makes it difficult to drive 40 miles to the nearest tango place. But yesterday was different. Someone was organising a milonga in the beautiful little town of Viana do Castelo . I thought my partner and I were going to be the only people there and I did warn her about the possibility that she could get stuck with me the whole evening. She said it wouldn't be such a terrible thing. I was glad about it! ;oD
It seems that many people thought they would be the only people in the milonga but they still made their way there. The result was over 50 people willing to dance! Because Viana is not far from the Spanish border there were lots of Gallician (inhabitants of Gallicia, a region of Spain) tangueros.
The floor, probably, was the best floor I have ever put my old shoes on! The bar was spacy, square and had a back door to the long strip of beach that bathes the shores of Viana do Castelo. I am anticipating the summer afternoon milongas - a morning on the beach, a nice meal and tango!
The music was very nice with a careful selection by DJ gatomilonguero . The last tanda was an interesting selection of 3 La Cumparsitas that sounded so different that they might as well be 3 different ones.
If you're around the area you definitely want to check out this milonga! For more info go to gato milongueiro's agenda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those who thought they would be alone at Viana...well, alone...with my GF/partner...which is actually quite a good perspective! ;)
But i can vouch for it! It was a great milonga, and i do hope it will be repeated during the summer!

Nice seeing you there!

koolricky said...

Hi Fernando!
Yes it was very nice to see you guys all there. Things are looking up, I hope to join you guys in summer!
Have a good year!

Francisco Rodrigues said...

"Someone was organising a milonga in the beautiful little town of Viana do Castelo ." LOL little town ;)